Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Salinas
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re nearing the date of closing, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You might be pondering all the ways you should customize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too far, make sure you consider home security too. Keeping those you care about safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Salinas.
Complete a safety check of your new Salinas property
Now that you’re considering safety, find out what your new home already has. To start, ensure you have functioning smoke detectors. Try all of them and change batteries if required. Do you have CO detectors? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to upgrade door locks and check all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and get familiar with your new home.
Smart security tips for your Salinas home
Once you’ve done your opening inspection of safety devices and locking systems, you should think about elevating your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Salinas.
- Opt for a modern home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Salinas can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your home even when you’re not there. You are able to review live video footage, operate entry locks, and even talk to people on your front porch right from your mobile device. You can even personalize your defense with incredible security features such as video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Update exterior lights. Exterior lights with motion detection are a great approach in discouraging possible invaders. You might even incorporate them with video cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can instruct your surveillance to record.
- Keep your property neat. Can you see all of your property through your windows? Are there large bushes and trees obstructing your view? Remove likely areas to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with folks in your community. Talking about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people around you, they’ll be more inclined to advise you if they detect suspicious activity. You might also get involved in your community’s social media page if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re on site by activating smart lights at scheduled times. This is a fantastic tool when you’re at work or on vacation.